When Jurassic Park was on at the cinema, I remember laughing out loud with a couple of my computing mates when the young girl, Lex, looks at a computer screen and says: “It’s a UNIX system. I know this.” At the time, UNIX didn’t have much in the way of a graphical-user interface (GUI), unless you wanted to write one yourself. And it definitely looked nothing like the screen she recognised. Nowadays, a quick look around the many Linux and UNIX distributions demonstrates that GUIs are everywhere. There are probably some as fancy as the screen she was looking at before she got the Jurassic system up and running again to save them all from being eaten by dinosaurs.
In 1996, I listened to Lofty Zadeh, the daddy of fuzzy logic, give his keynote speech at the ‘Artificial Intelligence in Design’ conference, Stanford University. He described the excitment of artificial intelligence in the 1950s and how Marvin Minsky, father of frames, told a press conference that 50 years on, computers would read and understand Shakespeare. When Zadeh asked Minsky what possessed him make such a claim, Minsky said that he didn’t know, he had just gotten carried away.
I created my first webpage in 1995, which has since disappeared forever as even www.archive.org thinks it’s too old to store. Fingers poised over my keyboard, I felt shy about what to write. Eventually, I restricted myself to my research interests as I didn’t think that anyone would care to know about my favourite beer. How times have changed. The web nowadays is full of people talking about their favourite beers (mine, by the way, are Theakston’s Old Peculiar and Franziskaner). Everyone likes to chat. Continue reading “Stalkers in space and Facebook in your face”
- Stalker-Firth, R. (2007), Inside Your Users’ Minds: The Cultural Probe, Issue 234, A List Apart.
- Stalker-Firth, R. (2007) Card Sort Analysis: Anyone for a game of cards, Digital Web Magazine, (or here).
- [pdf] Stalker-Firth, R. (2003), Designing web usability, Checklist for the Chartered Institute of Management
- [pdf] Stalker-Firth, R. (2003), Ensuring web accessibility, Checklist for the Chartered Institute of Management.
- [pdf] Stalker-Firth, R. (2003), Using software for accessibility and usability, Checklist for the Chartered Institute of Management.
- [pdf] Stalker-Firth, R. (2003), Usability tools and techniques,Checklist for the Chartered Institute of Management.
- [pdf] Stalker-Firth, R. (2003), Measuring and increasing website return on investment,Checklist for the Chartered Institute of Management.
- Stalker I., Stalker-Firth, R., Fraga, E. (2003), Engineer-Computer Interaction for Automated Process Design in COGents, ESCAPE 13, August, Finland
- [pdf] Stalker, R., and Smith, I. (2002), Structural Monitoring using Engineer-Computer Interaction, Special Edition, Human-computer Interaction in Engineering Contexts, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 16, 203-18
- [pdf] Stalker, R. (2002), A function behaviour structure framework for the lifecycle of an artefact, Creativity and Cognition 4, 14-16 October, Loughborough University, U.K. (withdrawn)
- Stalker, R. and Anumba, C. (2002), Interface Design for Collaborative Virtual Teams, 9th International Workshop of the European Group for Intelligent Computing in Engineering (EG-ICE former EG-SEA-AI), 1-3 August, Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany
- [pdf] Stalker, R.A. (2000), Engineer-Computer Interaction for Structural Monitoring, Ph.D. Thesis No. 2199, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne
- [pdf] Stalker, R. and Smith, I. (1999), An interactive toolkit for structural monitoring, Artificial Intelligence in Structural Engineering, Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne, Warsaw, 1999, pp 189-198.
- Stalker, R. and Smith, I. (1998) Structural Monitoring Support through Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence in Structural Engineering, Computer Science, LNAI 1454, Springer, Heidelberg, 1998, 479-483
- Stalker, R. and Smith, I. (1998), Structural Monitoring: Decision-Support through Multiple-Data Interpretation, Artificial Intelligence in Structural Engineering, Computer Science, LNAI 1454, Springer, Heidelberg, 1998, 474-478
- Lottaz, C., Stalker, R., and Smith, I. (1998), Constraint solving and preference activation for interactive design&, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing,12,13-27
- Smith, I., Stalker, R., and Lottaz, C. (1996), Creating Design Objects From Cases for Interactive Spatial Composition, AID’96, Artificial Intelligence in Design’96, Kluwer, Academic Publishers, 97-116.
- Stalker, R.(1996), The design and development of IDIOM-GUI Graphical User Interface for Interactive Design Using Intelligent Objects and Models,Technical Report No 96/211, Departement d’Informatique, EPFL
- Ayel, M.C., and Stalker, R.A. (1995), Mutants in the KBS Testing Process, EUROVAV-95, European Symposium on the Validation and Verification of Knowledge Based Systems, St-Baldolph, France, 7-18